Tuesday 8th of September 2015
Fourteen buildings in the Preston borough of Penwortham are being considered for special protection by local historians and residents. The community has come up with a list of houses, buildings and objects which should be kept intact. They include:
Designed by Kendal architect George Webster. It has a Jacobean style with a veranda and was built in 1835.
King George V Playing Fields’ Gate Posts
At the entrance to the playing fields these “serve as a reminder of the heritage of the site.”
The Coach House, Hurst Grange Park
Built around 1850 it is all that remains of the buildings of Hurst Grange. The estate was home to a prominent Preston judge and historian, who became Mayor and is credited as being instrumental in the building of Preston Dock.
Penwortham Library, Liverpool Road
Built in 1936 in an art deco style, it retains its original lamps.
The Water Tower, Liverpool Road
The late Victorian tower was built by Canon Rawstorne. Attempts to list it in 1970 failed.
Woodlands, Cop Lane
Built in late Victorian and early Edwardian times. In 1936 the owner Miss Cragg was murdered by an intruder.
The Black Bull Inn, Pope Lane
The pub appears in an 1840 Tithe map.
Rosefold and Addison’s Yard
Rosefold was originally a farmhouse and Addison’s Yard a tannery, interesting examples of small scale industrial activity.
The Penwortham Plan also outlines where large-scale development should be concentrated in the area, and also calls for a policy to reserve 10% of each development for housing retired people.
Councillors also want to see 60 per cent of Middleforth’s shopping street be given over to retail uses.